I need some encouragment and ADVICE
here's the background:
Taylor and I went to Arizona for a week (first of Sept) and there Taylor slept on the floor (on lotsa blankets)....which he likes. Well EVER since we've been home he has NOT wanted to sleep in his bed (which isn't my main concern)...if he wants to sleep on the floor...then really whatever.
BUT the PROBLEM is that EVERY NIGHT.... so for 18 days in a ROW he has come in to my room in the middle of the night and laid on my floor next to my bed and slept there.
I don't mind, except I think it's a bad habit and with a baby coming, it's just no good. SO...I this last week I have gotten up EVERYTIME and put him BACK in his room (which he is fine with) to sleep.
He is getting up sometimes as much as 3x a night. Last night he came in and said "Mommy put me back in my room"...
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Just stay in your room then.
So...does anyone have any insight?
Is this a stage? Will it pass, what more can I do?
(another thing is that for nap time he doesn't put up a fight but for bedtime he wants to be on the floor and in the HALL)...I think he just wants to feel closer to us, I dunno.
HELP!!!!!!
ps. on a happy note, tomorrow is day 4 of potty training and it's going AMAZING. No accidents since day one and on day one it was only 2 accidents. just wish me luck as we venture OUT of the HOUSE :) :)
14 comments:
My Hunter is doing the same thing! I know with Hunter it's just a phase he is going through. I tell Hunter that he needs to sleep in his room, not mommy and daddy's. I have told him that big boys sleep in their own room. I get up numerous times each night to put him back in bed. It is happening less and less. Just be persistent with what you tell him and put him back in his room each time he comes to your room. He will get it, it just might take longer than we want it to. Good luck!!!
Madison did this for awhile. Sometimes I was just too lazy/tired to get out of bed and put her back in her room. So every night she would come sleep with us. Finally I just started putting her back. She was also scared to sleep in her room sometimes so we put a dimmer switch on her light switch so she could sleep with the light on and she also likes the door cracked.
My 4 year old did the same thing. I believe it is just a stage. I would just keep doing what your doing and I think eventually he will just stay in his room. Good luck and I'm sure it will all work out:)
Just tell him that unless he stays in his room you'll have to lock him in. That way he knows he has to stay in there if he wants the door open. But that's because I'm a mean mom... Lexi understands that concept, so Taylor surely will.
I did the same lock the door thing. When they realized I would lock it, then stayed in with no problem.
Jake's brother did this. His mom laid a sleeping bed right next to her bed. Each day she moved it 6 inches away until it was outside the door. That night the door was open, then next night it was closed. after that he was fine in his room.
I did the same as Cassie
I SWEAR to you Madden was doing that same thing when we got home!!! I called my sister and her little guy that is Maddens same age is doing the same thing to-so maybe it is am age thing??? Anyway I feel for ya-Madden hasn't done it for a week or so now-so maybe it will just stop soon! (fingers crossed)
Some of my kids did that too. You have to be consistent and put him back every time, or he'll keep doing it because sometimes he gets the pay-off.
Also, I believe in bribes, or rather, earning rewards based on good behavior. (This is reality based--when we grow up we earn money by behaving in a way that pleases our boss.)
Find something he really likes and only let him do it/play with it when he stays in his bed all night.
Hey Natasha! I found ya! So Lucy and Trev do this - they do just want to feel closer to their "protectors" at night. I told Lucy I didn't mind her coming in and sleeping on the futon next to our bed as long as she doesn't wake us up. I know it's a phase because my little brother did the same thing with my parents. I did tell Lucy that the baby wakes up a lot in our room at night so she would sleep better in her room - but whatever. Trev on the other hand we usually have to take back to his bed (he's closer to our room - Lucy thinks she's so far away since she's another door down :). I usually have to stay with him for a few minutes. If it's almost morning we'll let him snuggle next to us - they're only little for so long! :)
Haha. I'm sorry Nat. You should be getting all the sleep you can before your next little bundle of joy arrives. Unfortunately, I have zero advice. Great job on having a yard sale for the kiddos, wish I could come help.
Austin is three and does the same thing, I just take him back to bed. every time. I. hate. it. Congrats on the new baby coming! Good luck w/potty training!
Sounds like all good advice..something has got to work huh! :)
Hi Hi how funny Nat :) But honestly, you will not lock the the door right???? I think that would definitely scare him. I'm with Karlene, her advice is great.
Take care and sooooooo many hugs
Ulrike
Post a Comment